(Program 2268, Airing on 7.26.09)
- INTRODUCTION (James 4:13-17)
- Failure is succeeding at the wrong thing.
- This passage in James tells of three major mistakes often made when planning for the future.
- BEWARE OF SELF-CENTERED PLANNING (James 4:13)
- This man was planning the future of his business.
- He planned the period of time.
- He planned the places he would go.
- He planned the procedure.
- He planned the profits.
- The Bible does not discourage planning. The problem was that this man left God out of his plans; he did not seek the will of God.
- Psalm 32:8
- Isaiah 30:21
- John 16:13
- Romans 8:14
- God has a plan for every area of your life. The following will help you in finding His will:
- Confession – confess your sins. Get your heart right with God.
- Psalm 66:18
- 1 John 1:5-6, 9
- Ezekiel 14:3
- Do you really want to know the will of God, or do you just want God to help you in your plans?
- Proverbs 3:6
- Concentration – listen to God.
- BEWARE OF SELF-CONFIDENT PRESUMPTION (James 4:14-15)
- Life is but a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
- Proverbs 27:1
- Time is fleeting; be careful not to waste time. Do not presume upon the time that you have.
- Luke 12:16-20
- BEWARE OF SELF-COMPLACENT PROCRASTINATION (James 4:15-17)
- Procrastination may be the biggest problem most of us face today.
- The sin of omission, or procrastination, is a very deceptive and dangerous sin.
- The reason a person is not saved is because he has failed to do what he ought to do. No longer is a man condemned to Hell because he’s a sinner, because those sins have been paid for by Jesus’ death and resurrection. A person is lost because he has not believed.
- John 3:18
- The sin of omission is the reason why many homes are falling apart; we’re simply not doing what we know we ought to be doing. What do you have to do to harm your home? Nothing, just neglect to do what you ought to do.
- The reason many of our churches fail is due to the sin of omission; we neglect to do what we ought to do.
- Numbers 32:23